Podcast listenership took a dip in 2020, as the world ground to a halt because of the coronavirus pandemic. But with the rollout of COVID vaccines, and the lifting of mask mandates and social distancing norms, more and more of us are returning to travel, and our commutes to the office.
In honor of this, Catholic News Agency has compiled a list of some of our favorite Catholic podcasts, in no particular order, for you to add to your queue.
- CNA Newsroom
Catholic News Agency’s flagship, award-winning podcast CNA Newsroom is a storytelling podcast, informed by the latest Catholic news. The topics are as varied as they are fascinating— conversion stories, episodes from history, and even topics you may never have expected, such as…will I see my pet someday in heaven?
- The Bible in a Year (with Fr. Mike Schmitz)
This podcast shot up to the #1 position on Apple Podcasts within days of publishing its first episode, and for good reason. If you’ve ever wanted to read the Bible in a year, this is the podcast for you. Presented by Ascension Press, each episode of this podcast features several scripture readings, a reflection from Fr. Mike Schmitz, and a guided prayer. This podcast began in January, but it’s never too late to begin listening.
- EWTN Pro-Life Weekly
- Subscribe to EWTN Pro-Life Weekly to stay up to date on the latest news related to abortion, euthanasia, assisted suicide, and the culture of death, and how pro-life advocates are responding. Host Catherine Hadro’s passion for the pro-life cause is contagious and encouraging. You can find all the EWTN podcasts here.
- Ask Fr. Josh Have you ever had a question about the Catholic faith and thought to yourself, I wish I could ask my pastor? Not to discourage conversations with your pastor, but this podcast is a good substitute. Fr. Josh Johnson is a young priest out of Louisiana. Each week, he answers questions submitted by listeners in a refreshing way.
- The Counsel of Trent From Catholic Answers comes a podcast that checks the boxes for all Catholics wishing to grow in their apologetics. Each week, Catholic convert, bioethicist and apologist Trent Horn walks through explanations of some of the most common and compelling questions about the Catholic faith.
- The Quarantine PlaysDon’t miss this novel radio play project presented by the Catholic theater group The Merry Beggars. This show was developed as a creative outlet for Catholic artists during the coronavirus pandemic. Each episode is beautifully produced, and shares a unique story that often includes subtle hints of the Catholic worldview of their creators. New episodes are published every few months, so try not to binge this one.
- This is JenThe latest podcast from Catholic mom and comedian Jen Fulwiler is one you do not want to miss. Jen gives bold, unapologetic, and hilarious takes on living out the Catholic faith in the day-to-day.
- Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious WorldJimmy Akin presents a fascinating mystery in every one of these episodes, weighing the evidence and assessing each one from the perspectives of faith and reason. Topics include Bigfoot, ghosts, Area 51, and numerous mysteries from the Bible. You’ll come away from each episode having learned a lot and benefitting from Jimmy’s extensive research, impeccable reasoning and most importantly the Catholic perspective from which the mysteries are approached.
- What God Is NotIf you’re a fan of the long-time podcast Catholic Stuff You Should Know, don’t miss this new podcast featuring CSYSK alum Fr. Michael O’Loughlin. For this podcast, Fr. Michael is joined by Byzantine Sister Natalia for honest and open conversations about all things Catholic, through the lens of the Byzantine spirituality.
- Mother Angelica Live Classics Mother Angelica was the sharp-witted, hilarious, and deeply spiritual founder of Catholic News Agency’s parent company, EWTN. Her wit and depth are no better displayed than in these best-of recordings of her show “Mother Angelica Live.
- ”BONUS: “Catholic News”Catholic News Agency’s newest podcast is designed especially for your smart speaker. Just ask your smart speaker to play “Catholic News,” and you’ll get a specially curated audio news briefing every weekday. You can also subscribe on your favorite podcast app. “Catholic News” is a great way to stay up to date with what’s going on in the Church, at the Vatican, and around the world.