Have you ever been in a situation where you were out of options? Maybe you got into a circumstance that was out of your control, got into financial problems, had issues in your relationships or lost a business or job.
We’ve all experienced getting into an unpleasant situation where there was no way out. No options at all. What do we do in such situations? Some of our more common responses would be to ask help from other people, work harder, find connections, look for quick fixes. But the Word of God points us to one solution when we’re out of options- that option is the Gospel.
What is the Gospel?
Dr. Rice Broocks defines the Gospel as such: “The gospel is the good news that God became man in Jesus Christ. He lived the life we should have lived. He died the death we should have died. Three days later he rose from the dead proving he was the Son of God and offering salvation to everyone who will repent and believe the gospel.”
The gospel is good news. In a world where most people want to share bad news, there is a need for good news and the good news that Jesus lived, died and rose again, is all we need in virtually any situation- even those that seem impossible to get out of.
Romans 1:16 says, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.”
The Gospel is the Answer to Everything
It’s hard to consider how a death of one Jewish man two thousand years ago has now become the answer to every problem we will ever face, but it is. We don’t need the gospel plus good works, great advice, nice stuff and great doctrine to move forward in our walk with God. All we need is the gospel.
- If you need assurance of worth, the cross assures you that you were worth the very blood of Christ. (John 3:16)
- If you need healing, the stripes of Christ has paid the penalty of death and sickness so what you may live in wholeness. (Isaiah 53:5)
- If you need provision, through Christ’s poverty you can become rich (2 Corinthians 8:9).
- If you need liberty from sin, the power of the gospel has cleansed you of every sin and can get rid of even your appetite for the things that malign God and destroy you.
- If you need a career boost, Christ now marks and restores you as God’s masterpiece and proud worker (Ephesians 2:10).
- If you need peace, the assurance of our eternal salvation belittles the little worries we have on a daily basis.
- If God can give us life forever, what’s to stop Him from giving us life now? (John 10:10)
The Gospel is for everyone because everyone needs the Gospel.
If you’re in a situation that’s out of your hands, the gospel can bring you out of it. It’s the power of God for salvation, both in a spiritual and practical sense. How can the gospel bring you out of your tough situations today?
Patrick Mabilog, patrickmabilog.com