Investigation of former Dominican Republic nuncio moves forward

Advertisement    Partners    Contacts

Christian Forum
INVICTORY.COM
Christian Resources, Websites, E-cards, Prayer, Video >>
Christian News Search

  News by Topics



      NEWS ARCHIVES  
2017 Jan Feb Mar Apr May
Tour partner: Travel Directions

  Who is reading news now

  Christian News Ticker

EUROPE | PRESS

Photo via catholicnewsagency.com
Investigation of former Dominican Republic nuncio moves forward

The Vatican’s press officer provided an update on the trial of laicized former nuncio Jozef Wesolowski, saying that the case is moving forward, and the first stages of investigation and questioning have begun, reports Catholic News Agency.

“Regarding the situation of Mons. Wesolowski, I can say that the Judiciary of the State of Vatican City, continuing investigations, made a first interrogation of the accused, of which others will follow,” Fr. Federico Lombardi S.J. said in a Dec. 2 statement.

Wesolowski, 66, was laicized earlier this year after being accused of having paid for sex with minors while nuncio to the Dominican Republic. In September, he was placed under house arrest, rather than being jailed in Vatican City's prison, due to poor health.

In his statement, Fr. Lombardi explained that because the deadline for the former nuncio’s preventative custody has passed, and due to his poor health, Wesolowski is authorized to have “a certain freedom of movement,” but must remain within the Vatican City State and with limited external communications.

The Vatican spokesman also revealed that yesterday Prof. Gian Piero Milano, Promoter of Justice for the Vatican City State Tribunal, met with the Dominican Republic’s Attorney General, Francisco Dominguez Brito.

Brito requested the meeting during a trip to Europe for contacts in Poland and in the Vatican, Fr. Lombardi said, noting that the encounter comes “in the context of international cooperation at a level of investigative bodies for proceedings against Mons. Wesolowski and to the investigation underway.”

The meeting between Milano and Brito “was useful for both parties given the complexity of the investigation and the possibility of an international rogatory (formal letter of request for judicial assistance) by the Vatican to acquire further information.”

Brito met with Pope Francis Dec. 3, and said that the Pope had emphasized that the truth must prevail, according to the AP.

Wesolowski’s house arrest is linked to the opening of a criminal trial being held against him in Vatican City. He was summoned by a Vatican prosecutor and informed of the criminal charges he faces.

In June, 2014, Vatican officials ruled that Wesolowski was guilty of accusations that arose in late 2013 that the former nuncio had engaged in sexual misconduct, which had previously led him to resign from the position of nuncio to the Dominican Republic on Aug. 21, 2013.

After the printing of the original accusations, a 13-year-old boy came forward with further allegations that Wesolowski had solicited him for sexual favors in exchange for money.

The nuncio was then taken into protective custody by Dominican Republic officials.

After the guilty verdict, the Vatican ruled that Wesolowski would be laicized, a serious canonical penalty that renders one unable to celebrate the sacraments.

Though there is no extradition treaty between the Vatican and the Dominican Republic, Vatican officials had expressed their willingness to hand over Wesolowski to civil authorities in the Dominican Republic.

In August 2014, Fr. Lombardi clarified that as the nuncio had been removed from his post, he no longer has diplomatic immunity.

Fr. Lombardi stressed that the Vatican “from the very first moments that this case was made known to them, moved without delay and correctly in light of the fact that former nuncio Wesolowski held the position of a diplomatic representative of the Holy See,” particularly in recalling the former nuncio to Rome for canonical trial.

He added that the recall of Wesolowski to the Vatican for trial and the consideration “demonstrates the full and direct undertaking of the Holy See's responsibility even in such a serious and delicate case,” saying that the case is one that Pope Francis “wishes to address justly and rigorously.”

Do you need a prayer?

Your name and country (optional)



* All your prayer requests are sent anonymously to Manmin church willing to pray for your needs
New iPad POLL!

VOTE NOW! Will you buy new iPad?




TAGS: Pope Francis Dominican Republic Sex abuse Nuncio Jozef Wesolowski

[12/04/2014] Print Version

© Reprint is allowed unless source hyperlink is not deleted
[ christian news ]     [ HTML link ]     [ back ]

Cardinal pleads for Islamist militants to release Philippines hostages

Chaos in the Philippines as Islamist group storms city, abducts Christians

OTHER NEWS

PRESS

       BREAKING NEWS  
  Internet-conference    [ all ]
Brother Yun
Leader of house church in China
Serge Velbovets
Owner of the Christian Telegraph
Ad is provided by Google automatically

       PHOTOREPORT  

       AUDIO & VIDEO  

       HOT ISSUE  

       QUOTE OF THE DAY  
Brent Bennett, pastor in Greenwood, S.C.


Copyright © 1999-2017 CHRISTIAN TELEGRAPH. We are not responsible for the content on other sites we refer (if you want to research just visit those sites).
The use in whole or in part of this site content must clearly state as having come from "Christian Telegraph" with hyperlink, not Telegraph nor Christian News etc.

eXTReMe Tracker
The Baptist Top 1000 Christian.com
Social Network
CFS Top Christian Sites Fundamental Christian Topsites LIVE GOD NETWORK