The Family Planning Association (FPA) provide the so called 'Emergency Contraceptive Pill' (ECP). The ECP is the Levonorgestrel tablet manufactured by Bayer which is marketed under the name Postinor-1. The website of the FPA describes the action of Postinor-1 as follows:
It stops or delays the release of an egg from your ovaries until the guy’s sperm aren’t active in your body any more.
· It prevents the sperm from fertilising an egg by changing the way the sperm moves in your body.
· It doesn’t work once the egg has been fertilised.
· It doesn’t harm you or a developing embryo.”
The first two modes of action are correct. However it is a blatant falsehood to state that the ECP does not harm a developing embryo.
This false information is also printed in the FPA pamphlet on Emergency Contraception funded by the Ministry of Health.
The Product sheet of Bayer for Postinor-1 states; Pharmacodynamic properties.
The precise mode of action of Postinor-1 is not known. Emergency hormonal contraception is thought to work mainly by preventing ovulation and fertilisation by altering tubal transport of sperm and/or ova. It may also cause endometrial changes that discourage implantation. Levonorgestrel is not effective once the process of implantation has begun.”
· delaying the release of an egg from your ovary until sperm are no longer active, and
· changing the lining of your uterus so a fertilised egg cannot implant and develop.
Human life begins at the miraculous moment of conception. This is the beginning of our human life’s journey. The ECP is not a contraceptive but an abortifacient, that causes the destruction of a defenceless human being.
This misinformation provided to women is very serious. Women have a legal right to be fully informed and to give an informed consent. Why then is the FPA withholding information of critical importance, that the ECP may act to destroy a newly conceived human being? The statement by the FPA that it does not work once the egg has been fertilised and it does not harm you or a developing embryo is very revealing as it acknowledges that;
· A human embryo is a new developing human being and not just a clump of cells.
· That the status of the new human being is deserving of respect and protection.
· That the welfare of the mother and her child in utero are to be considered together.
· That many women would be deterred from using this lethal hormonal drug if they were aware that it could result in the death of their child at the beginning of its life’s journey.
Postinor-1 is available from Family Planning clinics on prescription or in over the counter sales from accredited pharmacies, or from non accredited pharmacies on prescription. The Ministry of Health advise that there were 17,247 pharmaceutical prescriptions for Postinor-1 in 2012.
Right to Life believes that Family Planning’s agitprop can be compared with the words of Joseph Goebbels, the Nazi Minister of Enlightenment and Propaganda who was attributed to have said. “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it”. Right to Life asks that the FPA correct this misinformation and publicly apologise to the women of New Zealand for withholding from them important information about Postinor-1 in regards its preventing the implantation of a human embryo.
Right to Life intends now laying a complaint with the Ministry of Health and the Health Commissioner. We must also ask why the government continues to fund the FPA, when it is inflicting so much damage on the health of our community by promoting contraceptive and abortion policies and a culture of death. Why too is our Ministry of Health funding the FPA pamphlet that contains this lie?